Sunday, August 21, 2011

8/21/11 - Chops

I'm sure you've all been counting, and its been about 6 days since my last blogged meal. It's not because I haven't been nourishing myself with food, but rather, I was in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire, in a cabin on a lake (hey, that's a lot of prepositions!). It was an awesome trip if you care. However, civilization, the food stores, and all restaurants were at least 25 minutes away, and you'd have to drive on a really sketchy road, the terror of which was only amplified by my father's no-regard-for-human-life driving. That being said, there weren't a ton of memorable meals from this trip. One night, we even had leftovers... for DINNER! (I still get a shudder down my spine).

So on my first night back in Bodymore, I knew I had to eat a blog-worthy supper, or my incredible fame and notoriety would fade away, much like Ben Scherr's hair! (first personal attack of the blog).

Now I'm aware it's Sunday, and on your complimentary ThisIsWhatJeffEats calendars it says it's Italian night, but Mr. Italy himself (my stepdad) decided to jet-set across the country and have a little chill-sesh in Cali. So it was up to mother bear to cook. I suggested porkchops:


1) I'm actually gonna start with one of the sides, the tomatoes. I need to get this off my chest. These assholes had the nerve to require 1.5 hours of cooking until they were ready to be consumed. I did not know this when I agreed to allow my mom the pleasure of slaving over them. I'm a hungry fellow, and I require a healthy diet of food when I want it. These tomatoes threw off the whole system. As a side dish, they should know their place. What kind of world do we live in where side dishes dictate the time meals are served? This rebellion must be quelled, and though the tomatoes were tasty, I have to make an example out of them. And don't call them martyrs either. 1/10 Jeffs. 
2) Moving on, my mom must have heeded my advice about getting a second job, because she was able to scrape together enough money to splurge on the bone-in chops. These things were enormous. She kept going on and on about how she learned a new grilling technique, which is why they turned out perfectly. But I payed little attention to what she was saying, because up until then I just assumed women had chips in their brain that told them how to cook. She paired the pork with a mushroom sauce that was divine. These huge, tasty chops easily deserve 8.5/10 Jeffs. And there's leftovers!
3) I'm only mentioning the cous-cous because it's a side that isn't potatoes or broccoli. And I'll be damned if I don't take advantage and say, as the old adage goes, it's the food so nice they named it twice. You pour water in a pot and boil... pretty easy stuff. I put that mushroom joint on this too, which resulted in an admirable 8/10 Jeffs.

After dinner we went through my mom's liquor cabinet and sampled some Grand Marnier and Disaronno. Good dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment