Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's a Christmas miracle!

I haven't written on this thang in a long time, but I was lucky enough to make it back home for a short Christmas break, so I thought I'd give everyone the gift they really wanted this holiday season: a post by ole' Jeffy-boy! Also, a special someone requested I do an entry for my Christmas Eve meal, and your mans don't like to disappoint.

Now I haven't blogged in a while because 1) I'm lazy and 2) I moved to Denver and am living on a poor person budget. That means I don't always eat like the God-King you all used to know (and love!), and instead have to settle sometimes for delicacies like this:


This pan of goodness is what I refer to as Man-Stew. It is a can of Bush's Baked Beans (the Maple Cured Bacon kind of course), two hot dogs, and about a pound of ground beef. Now personally I think I'm an innovator in the kitchen, but some people (all people) don't consider this to be a delicacy. And what's the point of writing a brag blog if you're not actually making your audience feel jealous and inferior?

Anyway, about my Christmas Eve. At some point in the last six months, my parents got hella fancy. Not only did we have two forks, but our meal was a paced, three-course dining experience, with specific time intervals between dishes. Normally I think I'd complain about the lack of dining-freedom, but I can appreciate the effort Kerry and Anthony went through to class up the joint. Here is course numero uno:


This was a dope little salad that Kerry threw together. It had tomatoes, big chunks of avocado, and lump crab meat. And things must be going pretty well at work because she sprung for the legit Maryland crab meat instead of the Indonesian/Gulf meat. Pretty basic intro course, but I don't get crab out Coloradoway, so this was a pleasant welcome back to the coast. I give this 8.5/10 Jeffs only because the avocado was a little hard for my liking. Picky, picky.

After sitting around for what seemed like a lifetime, the clock struck whatever obscure time they decided dinner would be served, and thus, dinner was served:


It's more or less guaranteed that if it's Christmas Eve, we're having Italian. In a perfect world, we would have my stepdad's homemade Penne with Vodka sauce every year, but this ain't a perfect world (damn that was deep). This dish more than held it's own however. Homemade red sauce with like five different types of mushrooms in it, drizzled over mushroom and pepper stuffed raviolis. The raviolis were soft and the insides had a nice kick. My only complaint is that there wasn't any meat. I realize that mushrooms pass for 'protein' these days, but we ain't vegans! Some chicken would have fit in nicely. Another 8.5/10 Jeffs because I'm greedy.

And finally, around 2:00 am, we were presented with dessert:


Homemade chocolate mousse is also a yearly tradition, but it's always hit or miss in terms of consistency I think. This year, the mousse had the perfect fluffhead and was served in a martini glass, which was not only a continuation of the fancy theme, but made it easier for me to devour it within 30 seconds. I'm sure this was delicious, but by then I had consumed a good amount of wine. So 8.5/10 Jeffs for consistencies sake!

So there ya have it, a new year and a new ThisIsWhatJeffEats post. I was a lot more docile this time around, I guess it was the Christmas spirit. I'm back in Denver now, and I think I may try and update this from time to time now that I'm making some money and can eat like a normal human again.

Lastly, I want to dedicate this post to my man Dav Scherr who is no longer with us. He was a great guy, and had he not been reading books on Mozart or Quantum Mechanics or brain surgery, I'm sure he would have enjoyed my ridiculous blog. RIP big guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment